Friday, May 30, 2014

Smart Phone Digiscoping Questions


We're currently volunteering in Oregon as Snowy Plover Interpretive Hosts and have been using our Vortex Razor scope every day to share a nest site with folks stopping by. We  have the Vortex digital camera adapter and having a bird setting eggs has given us a great opportunity to "play" with our digiscoping equipment more than we ever have (none of our pictures are "calendar shots", but we're still enjoying them.)  After attending a brief workshop with Clay Taylor, are interested in using our cell phone camera as well.

My wife dropped her iPhone 4s yesterday and we'll be replacing it shortly. The eternal question: stay with iPhone or go with the bigger screen and twice the resolution Galaxy s5?

Which brings me to this consideration: what are my options in compatible adapters?

Briefly looking at your site, it appears that the iPhone 5s adapter is readily available, Do you have an adapter for the Galaxy s5? Would you recommend one phone over the other, specifically related to digiscoping?


-Steve P.


Dear Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. 

If you stick with an iPhone 4s, you would want this adapter for your Razor scope:

If you’re going to the iPhone 5:

If you decide to go with a Galaxy, you’ll need to get your adapter from Phone Skope: r and the appropriate case for the model of Galaxy you end up getting—here is the, for example.

We don’t have a smart phone recommendation—all the current models seem to have great photo resolution, and they are certainly handy and easy to use for digiscoping.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to call.

All the best,

Eagle Optics

Thursday, May 29, 2014

What replaced the Stokes Talon binocular?


I would like to know what model replaced the Stokes Talon binocular.

Thank you,

Judy G.


Hi Judy,
The Talon was upgraded and the new model is the Vortex Diamondback.
If you have any other questions, just call or e-mail!

Best regards,

Eagle Optics

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Call Swarovski directly for rubber eyecup replacement

My friend has a Swarovski spotting scope and the rubber on the eyepiece has finally torn and come off from years of use. 

Do you sell replacement rubber for the eyepiece? I believe the model is a Swarovski ATS 80mm.
If you don't sell them, and idea on where to find them?

Thanks for your time,



Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your inquiry.  This type of replacement part can be acquired directly from Swarovski.  Their US offices are based out of Rhode Island.  You can reach them at 800-426-3089.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to email or call.

Best regards,
Eagle Optics